Friday 4 January 2013

A Shrunken FJELLSE Bed !

Well. It had to come. My daughter, not happy that her big brother was having his bedroom redesigned, decided that she would hold her breath until I did hers!

Actually, that's not strictly true, (in fact not at all. Just prone to exaggerating!) I just thought it wasn't fair that I only did his.


Now as you will come to see, I have throwing things out if I can 'upcycle' them!!

Unfortunately due to the small size of her bedroom and the fact that there is a large box over the stairwell, a standard single size bed just will not fit.

Luckily, as we were doing my son's room, he had a small single mattress. So while we were buying the items from Ikea for his room, I also purchased a Fjellse Bed for her room.

MODIFY!!!

After doing some careful measurements, I found I had to cut fifteen cm off the width and     cm's off the length. None of which was a problem, I just had to take 7.5cm of either side of the headboard so that the upright rails remained in the centre.

The rails that run along the length then had to have holes drilled for the locking bars and dowels.

All in all this hack was quite an easy one considering.

Only issue we have now is that both my wife and I keep kicking the bed leg as we are not used to it being there!

The bed in it's place. Watch your feet though!!

















It then transpired that we were short of drawers. Luckily the old cabin beds that both children slept in, had a three drawer and two shelf unit underneath. After some more careful modification I used two of the three spare drawers and used one of the shelving spaces. So now she has a five drawer unit with room to put some books on!

The Chest of drawers were 'upcycled' from the old bed


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

Popular Posts

Tags

Categories

Bedrooms (2) Carpentry (4) Construction (6) Garden (1) Hacking (2) Hacks (2) Ikea (2) Living Room (2) Upcycle (5)

Connect with me!